Adventures in Summer Reading, An Altered White Board

My husband collects.  That's to say he really collects.  With certain items I would even say he is a light hoarder.  LOL  The garage is his for his tools, our storage, lawn equipments, and more.  Well, the more is more than the poor little garage can handle.  Reluctantly, he has been clearing it out. 

I help out from time to time as he goes through the process.  I ran across an old Pepsi White Board, never used.  I asked it I could have it do what I want with it.  I don't think he realized what I was about to do. 

I looked at the white board for a week or so before I decided I just wanted to have a little fun.  Little Honey needed a summer reading log that was bright, fun, and functional.  So here we go.

 (click on any photo for better details)
The board is 23" x 16".  A nice size.  Let's see if I can tell you everything involved.  The main paper line is from Simple Stories, 100 Days of Summer.  I've never used their paper before and I just love it!  I did use Bo Bunny Double Dot for my "lines."  I've just purchased Bo Bunny's Double Dot and I'm dying to dive in. 

I think this is my favorite element of the White Board.  Using Stazon Ink I stamped the flowers (Renunculus Field by Stampendous!).  I broke out my Ranger alcohol inks and finally opened my alcohol ink pen from Ranger.  It was so easy and a ton of fun.  Now I'm hooked.  The photo of Little Honey, cut out, worked perfectly atop the flowers. 

Maybe you can help me out on this one.  I don't know why this did not happen to the flowers.  I stamped my sand castle using the Stazon Ink (stamp by Inkadinkado).  I used a regular nib with Ranger Latte alcohol ink.  The Stazon Ink came off.  I ended up cleaning it off and starting over.  I actually inked the board first with the alcohol ink, stamped over it, and used Ranger's blending solution to clean up around it a bit and to just blot lightly to get the shading.  I still lost some of the Stazon.  Please let me know how I'm suppose to do this.  I did enjoy the look afterwards.


This is my centerpiece.  The photo is of Little Honey when she won books and a backpack at the local children's museum.  Ingredients:  banner, side Bingo cards, number strip, from Simple Stories; lettering American Crafts Thickers; "Travel" Bingo card from Tattered Angels with the new Spring Distress Inks from Tim Holtz and Ranger; Slide Ring from Quick Quotes wrapped in ribbon from American Crafts, and behind the "Travel" Bingo card is a Bingo stamp from Stampers Anonymous. 

Where the bottom is framed out is where the Pepsi Logo was.  It is perfect for my little "home" scene.  Above the home scene are chipboard animals from My Minds Eye Alphabet Soup along with the cloud, bee and girl with the umbrella. 

I added the buttons and created paper lines to log her books.  She will read/listen to more than what there are lines, but it's a cool beginning.  Doesn't it just take on the feel of a great adventure?

Have you started or finished your mini-book?  Check out this POST (click) to find details about D's Paper Studio May challenge and Bo Bunny's generous giveaway.


Have a Crafty Day







Gratitude List
1.  book money coming together for Jay
2.  knowing Foxie
3.  my daughter's in-laws
4.  fun weekend with my Hannah
5.  my daughters, Tab, Nessa, and Stephanie who are great mothers
6.  God's gift to me of my mother

Comments

  1. This is such a fun piece, Debby! It definitely makes me want to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. look awesome!!! would have loved to seen the before pic of the board {not sure what it was} Little Honey's mom will love this!!! Voted yesterday from my cell so it moved the count:):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about the before photo until it is too late. I looked on the net but couldn't find it. If Jim has one in the store I will have him snap a photo and I will post it.

      Delete
  3. WOW - you are so creative!! How sweet is this! Love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooooo very fun and funky - I have no idea why the ink won't stay. is that a white board???

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my what a cute idea and what a great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome project! Love the idea of using the white board!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute and fun idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the great things about this is that it could hang in her room and inspire her to read for years to come! How cool is that?! I wonder if I could do that for Sequoia. Probably not as well, but it may be worth a shot! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is FABULOUS! She is going to love this for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe you lost some of the Stazon for the same reason copics don't work well with Stazon. They're both alcohol inks, so when you add more ink, you're re-constituting the Stazon, so it's once again wet and easy to smear or blend away with the Ranger ink. Very cool board, anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize that Stazon was alcohol based. Well, that explains that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!