Home for the Holidays...Blast From The Past

For the month of November every Thursday I am going to revisit some of my favorite blog posts from my past yearly event "Home For The Holidays."  Guests from around the crafty world were invited to share their family traditions and many included crafts, techniques, recipes, and always many warm family traditions.

I want to start out with one of my all-time favorite crafters Cheryl Waters and her post from 2012.
 
A Tradition of Gratitude
Traditions are such an important part of each culture and people group.  I love that each of us have unique traditions that we pass down that help make us who we are as a family and individual.  Both Thanksgiving and Christmas are rich in traditions for my family and I.  It is a time that we cherish all that the past year has brought and look forward to what the new year holds.

Some of you may celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanza.  I feel that this a tradition that can transcend to any way you celebrate the season.  This is a tradition of gratitude and thankfulness.

It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bussel of the season.  One of the ways we slow down to have a heart of gratitude is that after we pray and eat Christmas Eve dinner, we meet in the living room . . . the eldest on chairs and couches and the young people usually sitting on the floor.  Before we open any gifts, which as you know for kids . . . it’s hard to wait, we go around the room one by one and share what we are thankful for that year.  Thanksgiving isn’t the only time to stop and be thankful . . . we also stop throughout the year but make it a part of our Christmas evening.  We as a family are foremost thankful for our faith and the reason for the season.  Our hearts are also filled with gratitude for all the rich blessings the blessings.  After we conclude our time of sharing, we pray and go on with gift giving.  There is one particular time of sharing in years  past that stands out.

I’ll never forget the Christmas of 2001.  My uncle’s headquarters were in New York City but he had a home here in California.  You see he was in New York City on September 11th, 2001 in his downtown Manhattan.  What he witnessed changed his outlook on life in some simple but profound ways.  He shares about how he felt so helpless to assist others and really all he could do was give blood, walk the streets and assist where he could.  It was like witnessing a war.

My uncle is 6’9” and calls himself a cupcake shy of 400 lbs.  He’s big and strong but a gentle and caring man.  He didn’t come from money and because of my grandparents hard work and his, he was able to flourish in law and business.  I will never forget that year when he opened up the sharing . . . with a few tears; he was so grateful for home (in California), for family and for health.  He’s a pretty grateful man as it is, however this was a deep sense of gratitude and it was evident.  He had seen things some of us will never see in our lifetime or hope not to see.

So we make gratitude a part of our season both at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  In fact, I attempt to make it a part of each day.  Especially as we ponder all that the previous year held and all that the new year has for us . . . it’s always a warm and wonderful gesture to stop and take time out to outwardly be thankful.

I’m preparing by heart of gratitude by creating an art journal page in my ‘Grow’ journal all about the importance of being having this type of heart.  Do you have a time you stop and are grateful for all that the year has shown you?  Do you record it?  I’d love to know.  I’m thankful for new and established friends I’ve met through the art community.  I’m grateful for you and the way you’ve touched my life.  I’m wishing you a beautiful season full of life, light, love and gratitude.  Here is California, despite that it’s Winter, the season usually brings some sunshine.  I’m reminded . . . Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow. ~ Helen Keller
 

For a little holiday artsy fun I thought I'd share with you some quick simple artsy mixed media tags you can top your special gifts with.  While the gift doesn't have to be extravagant as it's given from the heart, a handcrafted tag is sure to top it with a special touch.  Taking that extra little step of hand craftedness says, I'm grateful for you and you're special.  Enjoy the video.


Gratitude Overflowing
Since I shared the contents of my post with Debby, on November 2nd I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Here's the post on my blog in which I shared . . . Day One of Doing Battle.
Of course there were feelings of uncertainty and fear especially at first but they were slight compared to those of overwhelming gratitude as I shared with family, friends and co-workers and felt their love and support.  That gratitude . . . absolutely overwhelming and overflowing like a wave that rushes in and covers you like a warm blanket.  Like I've never felt before.  As I look at the many blessings in my life, the disease and the future ahead seems doable with great strength.  It's almost as if those around you stand you up by their love and support to face what is ahead.  While I'm not grateful I have to fight this disease, I am grateful for love, support, encouragement, those that have gone before me on this journey, seeing how this journey has already brought some people together, seeing a strength in numbers and more.  It's amazing.  Sometimes adversity brings greater things that we could have ever imagined.

My Christmas will be a little different this year . . . recuperating from surgery but one way it will remain the same . . .Overflowing gratitude for the reason for the season, the priceless gifts in my life and for gratitude overflowing.  Once again I'm wishing you each a season to remember . . . one of love, peace and joy.

Cheryl Waters
Artsy Findings
 Pink Warrior Leather Bracelet Tutorial

Back to Debby
You can see why this is one of my favorite blogs posts from "Home for the Holidays."  Here is a recent post by Cheryl concerning her journey.  Breast Cancer Awareness and My Journey Thus Far

If you would like to see more of the 5 years of guests click "Home for the Holidays" to get to the archives.  Important:  because these are older posts some of the links may not work or have been moved by the author.  Remember these are older posts.  NONE of the GIVEAWAYS are active.

Inspired To Created/Encouraged To Try
 


Comments

  1. Very true and as things change so do some traditions. Prayers for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance go to her blog and see her update on her journey. Cheryl is well and I am positive by looking at her blog and her posts that she is full of gratitude for so many things.

      Delete
  2. So gald she is well !! Enjoyed reading and visiting her blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!