Mixed Media with December Daily, Part 6

YES!  I finally edged out a page with more mixed media.

Wonder

Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousel
Tim Holtz stamp (trees), Distress Inks Spun Sugar, Gathered Twigs and Pine Needles, Stamp/Stencil  Watercolor Butterfly Set
Sizzix Winter Deer Thinlet
Spellbinders Building Snowman
Golden Glass Bead Gel
Gesso
Aleene's Glitter Snow

 
Cover the whole page with Gesso.
Using Tim Holtz's stencil add Glass Bead Gel and let dry.
Because it dries clear rub on Spun Sugar Distress Ink.

Add stamps.  The tree trunk of the stamp is shorter than shown.  I just stamped the trunk twice, hiding where they come together under the photo.

Adhere photo and snowman die cut.

Use a spatula to add the glitter snow.  Let dry.

Add deer.  I use a mixed media medium to adhere to the snow.

Fussy cut flower and bell from Bo Bunny.  Add corner and Washi tape. 

Merry Christmas
Little Story
Ali made Papa a Christmas Tree Cookie.  When she saw this page she asked for a copy of it.  "Sure."  "Mimi, next time can you put a picture of ('Little's Brother'...her youngest cousin) instead of the elf?"  I should have thought of that one myself.  She is my little designing genius. 

Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousel
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Vintage Photo, Distress Stain Vintage Photo, Thinlets Snowflakes, Jingle Bells, Flashcard, Rub-on
Prima Flower
Merry Christmas KaiserCraft
Fiskars border punch

I picked up the idea of the top "banner" from Pinterest.  Very different, but the idea is the same.

Place two different types of Washi tape the width of the page.
Add the twine with the jingle bells holding the ends.
Just add what odds and ends you have laying around.

Here comes my DD Mascot.  I added Aleene's snow and Ranger's Stickles to the antlers and eye then a tree button in the middle. 

Everyday Techniques 
  • Even if it is supposed to be a simple, small page...let your inner creativity loose and do a little mixed media.  
  • Gel Beads are always fun.
  • Gesso the whole page.  If you apply a light coat you can still see the paper's design.  Now the gesso allows you to kick it up a notch adding stenciling, stamping and other elements. 
  • Extend your stamps, aka the tree height.  You can do with nearly every type of figure or object.  You can hide the joined pieces under other elements.
  • Even a corner can be a focal point of creativity. 
  • Banners are a great place to create a collage of pictures and elements.
  • When doing a large project keep little odds and ends in a tray near you.  It makes it easy to add that leftover embellishment or ribbon. 

I am glad I'm blogging all these pages and giving an overview of the techniques I really like.  It gives me a reference point to come back to.  You can search D's Paper Studio ("search" is in the top banner.) to find the different techniques later.  I will try and post the links all in one post at the end.


Inspired To Created/Encouraged To Try
 

Comments

  1. Love your tips!! The banner is my favorite :) Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Love your pages. Love the mixed media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have this mixed media thing down pat! These are truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I thought when I saw this layout was, "that subtle print on the background paper is just perfect to add interest without overwhelming the photos". Imagine my delight when I saw that you painted gesso over it to get that soft, ethereal look. Just genius!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!