Sock it to Me, Baby!
Remember that line "Sock It To Me, Baby?" Remember who said it, what decade and what show? LOL I really remember waiting for this show to come on. It was wildly popular. (Random RAK for those who can answer all the questions above!) Well, I want to bring a new meaning to "Sock it to Me, Baby!" Fiskateers around the nation and world are collecting SOCKS for those in need. Here are a few stats that was researched
- Socks are vital to overall health of those living on the streets. Socks are often not donated enough and are greatly appreciated by the recipient.
- Most homeless and impoverished people do not own shoes that fit properly or are not in good condition. This increases the importance of socks.
- Many people suffer from diabetes and other ailments and they could benefit from socks with extra support.
- Not all shelters accept clean used socks so it’s important when collecting that we collect new socks.
- Socks are relatively inexpensive to donate.
- There are men, women and children that live on the streets and all could benefit with a new pair of socks. More people are becoming homeless due to the downward spiral of the economy as well as natural disasters.
Being borderline Diabetic I understand the importance of caring for my feet. Imagine being on the streets without the ability to care for yourself medically. Have you ever had wet socks on? Imagine keeping them on because that is all you had. Can you see what damage that does to your feet. Think of the coldest day you've experienced and go outside without your socks.
All this to say that you can participate in the Fiskateer "Sock It to Poverty" Campaign. You can rally up the troupes and find a place to donate socks. Or if you would like you can send the socks to me and I will put them with the other socks being donated to the Oliver Gospel Mission here in Columbia, South Carolina. We have several drop off points in Columbia including The Stamping Place. Oliver Gospel Mission and many other places receive coats, blankets, clothes...but new socks? Wow! White, men's socks are on their critical needs list at OGM. You do not need to be a Fiskateer to give. You only need to care.
Let me know if you organize a campaign in your area and I'll give you a boost here. If you need a place to donate new men's white socks you are welcome to mail them to me. Send me an email (DeborahL591@yahoo.com) and I'll send you an address. Simple.
Sudie from unKit, Two Peas in a Bucket, Scrapbook.com and infamous Nifty Fifty from Fiskateers and on the Charity committee with Sock It to Poverty has organized several places in Charleston, South Carolina to donate socks.
Fiskateer Sondra has organized a sock drive in Greer, South Carolina. Check with the local scrapbook store where she designs, Funkie Munkie Scraps.
Shannon from Fiskateers and Two Peas in a Bucket is partnering with me for the sock drive here in Columbia, SC.
Sock it to me, BABY!
Wants some more sneak peaks from Fiskars. Oh, I have two to die for.Twist and Flip Scallop Corner punch, 2 sizes in one.