Dad Said "Always Finish What You Started"

I have a couple of layouts that I made a few years ago.  I made the background but never finished the layout because I really loved it.  As part of my journey I decided to grit my teeth and finish the layouts.  I had several challenges along the way.

The Story
When I was in graduate school I participated with a group that went to an area of government housing once a week to play and work with kids after school.  On one of those trips a friend came with us and took photos.  These are just a few of them.  I remember the love and warmth of these children.

 
The Layout Before

The Layout Finished
Things I Learned
  • Never do a layout like this without having your photos picked out ahead of time.  Good grief I had a hard time choosing photos and then arranging them on the page.  I loved this background so much.
  • I decided to use a few older products like the die cut flowers.  I inked them with Tim Holtz's Distressed Ink and Stains.  I  added an older Maya Road flower.  Both ribbon pieces are older.  The "imagine" tag is older and I think from Karen Foster. I'm not sure.
  • A little Snow Cap paint really helps to age the embellishments. 
  • Adding the journaling on the page makes this page priceless for me and my family.
  • Late night with the family asleep is the best time to quietly sit and stitch.  I love to hand stitch quilt patterns on my pages.  I remember my grandparents and great grandparents.  Quilting was for warmth, not so much to display. 
The challenge is on and I have another quilt pattern layout I will be finishing for Wednesday's post.  I've also challenged myself to use those die cut pieces that are so pretty but I never use.  It's my journey to learn my craft and try something new. 

Happy Crafting

Gratitude List
1.  air-conditioning
2.  my husband Jimmy
3.  great kids
4.  my beautiful Hannah
5.  my caring, loving church

Comments

  1. As always Debbie love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout Debby! I can see why you had such a hard time covering up that wonderful quilted background!
    My Mum always said to always finish a project before you start another, but then she doesn't really practice what she preaches... She has many half finished things in the understairs cupboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous!!!The background is stunning~and stem and leaves so much button love~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, it turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that quilt background is gorgeous. I can see why you had a hard time completing the layout. Fantastic story - that's what I love about scrapbooking so much! Documenting and sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an amazing layout. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how awesome! love the buttons and those amazing details

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow so beautiful; it's no wonder you had such trouble choosing photos.... great job tho xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice layout. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:27 PM

    fabulous layout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT finish! I have layouts like this that way for me to finish. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing layout from start to finish~!
    Donna #4454

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!!! A fabulous layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debby,

    This whole lo is beautiful - everything about it. The job you did artistically and the story that goes with it. I'm sure those children still think of the time you spent with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. both of them are stunning! I want to be a quilter, but don't think I can handle one more hobby right now. You've motivated me to do some more paper quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!