It's the Butterflies!

It is getting silly around here about my butterflies.  LOL  I think that I'm really enjoying the Core'dinations embossed core cardstock.  It makes the perfect butterfly.

This is my second layout, different interpretation, of Prima's Sketch challenge for April. 

The Story
This is a photo of me and of me and Mom.  I was one year old.  I have such a thing for hats that I had enough current photos of me in different hats I was able to make a Shutterfly book about my hats.  Just so everyone knows it came by honestly.  This was just the beginning of my hat obsession.

The Layout

What I Learned
  • I found the paper pad for Core'dinations Jillibean Soup and snapped it up in a hurry.  The impact of the colors and design are incredible.  This is not the usual colors  or shades I use in my layouts.  It was a real challenge for me!  As I put it together I really begin to see how it all goes together.  I loved the color combo so much.
  • One of the reasons I like Core'dinations is that I can distress edges without ink.  I was able to just sand the edges of the background lightly to create a wonderful effect.
  • Look at border punches forward and backwards.  Not every border punch has to stack.  I really liked turning the strips back to back.
  • Can you get enough buttons?  I don't think so.  I was trying to find a way to tie the butterflies together but I didn't think flowers and vines would look great on this layout so I added buttons to carry the butterflies to the top of the layout.
  • My butterflies looked a bit plain once I cut them out. I used my Fiskars Limited Edition Spring butterfly punch to add a layer to my larger butterfly.  I like!  I also added a finishing touch by adding the "body" of the butterfly with Tim Holtz Distress Stickles.
  • These photos were printed from my computer and are not originals.  Once you cut these photos you usually get a very distinct white edge.  If you want to take away some of the "edge-ness" carefully ink around the photo on the outside edge with Stazon Jet Black Ink
  • I can hardly describe the wonders of Core'dinations' Dust Buddy.  It is not what I thought it was going to be, but it is more.  I did use just a towel or sometimes a very damp paper towel.  The Dust Buddy is not just a cloth.  It is designed to pick up the dust on your projects and one person said it saved her pants!
I had a lot of fun with this layout.  I cut, punched, sewed, sanded, glued, layered and just plain had fun.
Thank you bloggers for all your kind words from Monday's post.  It is certainly very encouraging.

Have a Crafty Day!

Gratitude List
1.  good health
2.  my husband who is full of grace
3.  spending time with Tabitha and Raelyn
4.  Lilly entertaining me
5.  the joy God has put in my heart

Comments

  1. oh wow, great layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very pretty. I would say they were vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely layout - love the buttons and butterflies. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOve this LO!! and love the hats~now you know why you adore hats!!! love visiting~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your layouts are always so amazing Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous debby!! Still loving the butterflies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:53 AM

    I love the layout.I especially love the butterflyes.
    Joan Fiskateer #808

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that is a really pretty layout, i love the butterflies. you've balanced it really well - great take on the sketch xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous layout!
    I love the colors, the butterflies and buttons, the stitching, and of course the vintage photos! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply super! Love what you've done here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that those buttons are a perfect way to tie the butterflies together. You've really inspired me!!! Great LO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, how cute! Love the pix!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!