Two, Two, Two Layouts in One!

After much research, trial and error, and 3 days I finally finished my two page layout.  Whatever made me decide to do a two page layout?  Along this journey I'm trying to learn all I can about my craft.  A double page layout has eluded me for some time.  I'm sure I have a few here and there from the early years.  I want to note I did lift a combination of different floor plans and other design elements.  The best way I learn is to find those designs and elements that fit who I am as a crafter and fashion my layout(s) accordingly.  After the first one I'm usually quite original. 

The Story
My son is about to graduate from High School and then after a summer of work and fun he will be off to college.  We visited the college this past weekend and more specifically his dorm or as they call it now the Resident Hall.  It washed over me that my son will be moving out and this part of his life will be finished.  True to fashion I went through some of his photos from when he as young.  Can you hear "Sunrise, Sunset" in the background.  LOL  The photos are from Jacob's first year in 4 year old Kindergarten.

The Layouts
You can click on the photos and they will enlarge for a closer view.



What I Learned
  • Two page layouts are hard!
  • Do not over do the embellishments.  At one point I had to subtract embellishments.  It seem all too easy to "over do." 
  • Use up my stash.  I used some older Cosmo Cricket and Basic Grey.  The sub-story:  I went to a scrapbook yard sale.  I can't believe the never-been-open products I found.  I spent 40 dollars and ended up with several hundred dollars worth of product. 
  • Frogs are fun for boys.  Often punches lean toward the feminine side, but this Fiskars squeeze punch is great for boys.
  • I purchased some wood elements from K&Company some time ago and never used them.  I think they were waiting for Tim Holtz's Distress Stains.  I stained the butterfly and then applied Glossy Accents to several places to make it pop.
  • Sewing through the layers of ribbon, two sheets of cardstock, and paper is hard on the sewing machine.  I had to start again several times.
  • I love Tim Holtz's Word Sticks.  They had the perfect words for this layout.  I added a bit of paint from Ranger's Dabbers, Snow Cap to pop the words.
  • Measure four times and cut once.  If not you cut once and piece back together for an hour.  I cut my second layout too short on each side.  Since this was an older paper I could not run out and replace it.  So I put it back together and used my photos and design to "hide" it.
  • Although I don't categorize this type of layout as "my style" I was able to include elements like the sanded Core'dination, Distress Inks, Dabbers, metal findings, and some old dictionary paper.  I had to add a bit of "me" in the design.  
  • A ruler is a must have on a two page layout.  Tim Holtz's Ruler rocked the house while I was creating this layout.  Having the grid with a clear ruler saved a lot of time and got it right the first time.
  • The finished product was well worth the effort!
  • Photo Notes:  These photos were pre-digital.  Trying to clean them up, crop and enlarge them was a difficult task.  I still did not get that "digital" quality.
 The Winner
From the comments left on last Wednesday and Friday's post the winner is
Kelly R said...What great inspirations! Creatively, I am inspired by flowers, fashion, weddings and great pictures. They give me goo ideas for crafting. Personally, I am inspired by my dh and his love for me.

Congratulations Kelly.  Send your snail mail address to DebbysDare@gmail.com.

Bloggers thank you for your comments, sharing and giving great feed back.

Have a Crafty Day!

Gratitude List
1.  my incredible son
2.  God watching over my children
3.  seeing sweet Hannah
4.  Raelyn's energy
5.  a gift unexpected in my husband

Comments

  1. Debby, I can't believe you don't do 2 pagers, as this is fantastic!! For 2 page inspiration I always head to Sketch Support for Alison Davis's wonderful 2 page sketches. They make 2 pagers a breeze! Shawn Lahr also does some great 2 page sketches at Nuts About Sketches. I hope this experience hasn't put you off 2 pagers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. I so struggle with 2 page layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute layouts!! Love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are in the "awesome" catagory!!! beautiful, Debby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful trip down memory lane! So lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:17 AM

    Wow Gorgeous Layouts and Fantastic Luck you've had a that scrap yard sale!!!
    Brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great LO (x2) love all the detail there is on there, and the bright colours - beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!