Monday, August 22, 2011

Incredible Effect!

Please excuse the absence last week.  With all the moving to college I did not have time to do my "normal" around the house work nor have art time in the studio.  I've made up for it this weekend.


On my journey I want to try new and exciting techniques and designs.  I took this particular turn in the road to alter a Starbucks' bottle.  I've been saving this for just the right time. 

The Story
I have been slowly redecorating and renovating my house.  In my kitchen was a huge table that did not fit.  There has always been some type of foosball table or air hockey table in my dining room so the table was in my kitchen.  I finally moved the air hockey table to the spare room.  The table went back to the dining room.  I've always wanted a two seat, bistro style table.  I found one at JC Penny's believe it or not.  It was 60% off plus I had a 20% off coupon.  It was beautiful and my thought was "I'm going to get this table.  Now how do I explain it to Jim?  Show him the receipt."  LOL


My table is now set up in the kitchen.  I took down the once wonderful blue shelf and added a picture I found at Hobby Lobby.  I wanted my "corner" of the kitchen to be both mine and Jim's so I purchased this fun photo of a chicken Paris style!  I love the idea of Paris and Jim is an area supervisor for KFC.  It’s fun.

The table was missing one thing:  a vase.  Thus, I embarked on a new side street of my journey.

The Altered Bottle



 

What I Learned
  • Acrylic paint and alcohol ink creates an incredible effect!  I painted the entire bottle with "True Blue" color acrylic paint.  Once it dried I tapped on Ranger's Alcohol Ink, copper mixatives.  It turned out so cool.  I picked up the technique from a blog post by A Shabby Passion created in 2008.  Yep, I'm slow.
  • When creating a paper design around an object layout it out first on your mat and make sure the spacing works.  I ended up taking all my diamond shapes off, redoing the paint and ink, then re-adhering the diamonds.  I laid a strip of paper down on my craft mat and used my ruler to get the proper spacing and adhered them to the strip.  I turned them over, added Modge Podge, and glued them to the bottle.
  • The paper is from Graphic 45 scraps.  I just needed 5 diamonds.  I had just enough to do it twice.  LOL
  • The findings and baubles are from Tim Holtz's Idea-ology line.  
  • Next time I will bring the diamonds (or design) down a bit lower on the bottle.
  • Keep everything!  I pulled the dried leaves and branches from an old wreath and just added the sunflower.

A fun project!

I had a wonderfully, crafty weekend I hope you have a Crafty Day!

Gratitude List
1.  Jay settling into college life
2.  a quiet Sunday
3.  an understanding a loving husband
4.  my beautiful birthday boy (handsome man) Adam
5.  the beauty God's places in my life and gives me the eyes and wisdom to see

7 comments:

  1. This is really lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo cool! LOVE your altered project! Great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute project! I also like the little tips that you added.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic~glad your back at creating!! Love the bistro set~so qaint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a sucessful trip to college! Love the way that the bottle turned out. The metalic and blue turned out fab! Thanks for sharing -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really awesome! I love that effect with the alcohol inks and paint. I will definitely be trying this one day soon! Thanks for all the inspiration! (and that table looks fabulous with the new decor!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!!! I love your bottle!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to D's Paper Studio. Thank you for your thoughts and questions. Feel free to leave your blog link. I love to be inspired.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...