Recording Memories of Growing Up Together

One area of my Journey I haven't explored is creating layouts that preserve the memories of me and my brother and sister growing up.  My sister is 10 years younger than I am.  We only had the first 8 or 9 years of her children together in our home.  The other downfall has been when Mom gave me Dad's photos I went through them and any photo of just Cindy I left at Mom's for her.  Right after Cindy was born the big craze of slides started.  A lot of Cindy's photos growing up are on slides.  I haven't been able to get them converted, yet.  

My brother is less than 4 years younger.  Now I have a great many photos of Scott growing up.  So it's time to plow into scrapping my memories of us growing up together.

The Story
These three photos of all me, Scott, and Cindy are copies of photos Mom kept in an old three photo frame.  I don't know how long they had been in the same this frame as I can remember seeing it since my childhood.  Mom gave me the photos and frame.  I noticed my photo of Scott and Cindy was fading.  I scanned, cleaned them up, and printed them as one photo.

The Layout

What I Learned
  • I'm not crazy about oval photos.  That's why I printed the ovals together to make one photo.  I use Photoshop quite a bit in cleaning up old photos.A banner doesn’t have to be clean and in a pretty hanging stance.  I love to play with my banners and do something a bit "off" just because I can.  LOL
  • I used Tim Holtz's stamps from Stampers Anonymous to create the cards behind the photos.  I used Distress Stain and then inked the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Inks.  Cool look.
  • Sometimes I buy a pack of embellishments just to get the one element I saw and really wanted.  Now I'm determined to use all of it.  The flower and leaves on the bottom left are from K&Company.  I loved how it turned out.  Using it was outside the box for me.
  • Michael's Arts and Crafts has/had all their Making Memories Bravissimos on clearance.  I purchased several fun pieces.  I proceeded to take them apart and I'm using the pieces.  The accordion flower is one of the pieces and I just added the button.  Great accent.
Personal Side


We got our son moved in for college over the weekend.  Me?  I'm happy for him.  It's hard to let him go.  I miss he already.  FYI:  I'm exhausted.

Have a Crafty Day!

Gratitude List
1.  the wonderful ambassadors of Preston that unloaded two vehicles and took everything to my son's room
2.  Jay's excitement
3.  God's care that none of us fell downstairs
4.  Tabitha being the best sister and leading the way to get Jay set
5.  God's strength to keep me seeing this whole new stage of life as a positive step for everyone

Comments

  1. Oh Debby I feel your pain~but as he grows and starts to settle in you will get used to him there and love watching him become that man that you have prepared him to be. The LO is awesome my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely layout! I really like those cards you made! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great layout0 very vintagey--is that a word!

    can't imagine sending them off to college--i already am teary and my oldest is going to kndergarten-hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great layout! I understand the conversion issue. Worse than slides, all our early marriage/ baby photos are on advantix and cost ALOT to convert...and therefore have not been! LOL. Congrats on getting your son off to college -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice layout...love how the banner turned out!

    Congrats on your son's move!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea of documenting your life with your siblings, how special.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!