From Home Decor to Scrapbook Layout

While waiting in the doctor's office last week I decided to go through 5 year old magazines.  In a home decorating magazine I found this stylish, beautiful wall.  I immediately wanted to do this for my home until I realized the cost and the fact that I just redecorated my walls. 

I decided to turn the wall decor into a scrapbook page.

The Story
The photos are another of our family Christmas tradition.  We have always taken pictures of the kids with the Christmas Tree.  It is really fun to go back and put them all together.  You really see how they've grown!

I added the words to the song O, Tunnenbaum in German.  When the kids were growing up I would sing it all the time to them.

The Layout
What I Learned
  • Home decor projects are fun to imitate on scrapbook layouts.
  • I dislike my camera.  I can't get a correct photo.
  • Stickers can add much to a page. I'm not a sticker person but the giant snowflake worked.
  • The shapes all worked together.  Rectangle and circles together add an interesting flow to the layout.
  • Sometimes a straight edge trimmer is better than a rotary trimmer.  I learned early on to "halo" paper.  Another words make a frame.  With a straight edge trimmer you can cut the corners precisely.  With the rotary cutter it's much more a guess work than not.  
  • I love doing the circle border at the bottom.  Large circles, small circles, Epiphany Crafts scalloped caps.  I added some chipboard buttons to add dimension.

I used...
Glitz Design Paper
Fiskars Border Punch
AC Thickers Letters
Basic Grey sticker
Epiphany Crafts scallop tool and caps
Tim Holtz Distress Ink, Vintage
Making Memories tiny letters

I had a great deal of fun creating this layout and I was able to preserve another family tradition.   

Have a Crafty Day! 

Gratitude List
1.  a good crafty weekend
2.  learning more about God's love
3.  the incredible fact that God does not condemn me, but loves me
4.  my wonderful family
5.  life's struggles that make us stronger and more dependent on God

Comments

  1. I love your 5th gratitude statement as that is what i am going through now. (actually they are all fitting for me as well - that one just stuck out this morning).

    Thanks for sharing a beautiful picture. I love the way you used the various shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is that? I love traditions like this, and how you captured it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So colorful and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great page and lovely photos....what a fab idea for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely layout, Debby! I agree. It is fun to go back to see your child's growth thru the years, in front of the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Layout! Love the way that you were able to extrapolate home decor into your scrapbooking! Love the way it turned out! -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely page, unique border...love it! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great LO~love the colors and the design and style~awesome work!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!